Senior Financial Accountant
Closes 17 Apr 2022
$120,000 - $130,000 + super
Our team is mainly based in Sydney, we are open to candidates from anywhere in Australia
About Future Super
At Future Super, we want to build a future free from climate change and inequality. By changing the way super is done and giving people a chance to invest their life savings in companies that don’t harm the planet, we’re proving to our industry that doing good can affect meaningful change in so many ways.
We strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people with disability, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, mature age workers, people with caring responsibilities and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, asexual (LGBTQIA+) people. Seriously. The problems we face are complex and the more diversity of experiences we can bring to the table, the better our solutions become.
About the team
We are looking for someone to join our mission focused, high-growth start-up as Senior Financial Accountant, helping to take our business to the next level of growth. You will be joining the Finance Team which is built on an idea-friendly organisational culture, where we strive to keep ahead of the curve.
As a member of the team, you will be working closely with leadership, exposed to key decisions being made in real time and brought in to solve complex challenges. You can count on being intellectually challenged, learning and development opportunities, and being empowered and supported to tackle the challenges we face every day. We like being the change we want to see.
The Finance team uses the Agile methodology to prioritise and triage workflows. We aim to create a team that functions more like a tech squad than a traditional finance team. We are open to new ideas and constantly test and learn to see what will deliver the best outcome for the team and Future Super.
About the role
Future Super has grown exponentially over the last year and currently manages around $10b in funds under management and we are aiming high to be a $50b+ superannuation fund. Fast-paced growth comes with a greater level of complexity in our reporting and high-level reliability from our financials.
This is a massive opportunity for anyone who is up for a challenge. Reporting to our Financial Controller, you will help drive and build our new financial accounting and reporting function. In the process, you will look to redesign current policies and procedures, help build new processes and systems and take our reporting function to the next level. You’ll own our half-yearly and annual financial reporting for the promoter and investment management divisions and work closely with our auditors to deliver successful financial and AFSL audits. To be clear, this role has little to do with fund accounting and the funds management work is managed by our Administrators and fund operations team.
Here are some of the things you might be involved in if you start with us this reporting season:
- You will be working closely with the Financial Controller to prepare necessary work papers for our year-end consolidated financials
- You’ll ensure we are audit-ready (hey, who doesn’t love implementing revenue recognition principles or share-based payments into a new company!). You’ll help develop - and then own - the processes for implementing accounting standards for our business in adherence to accounting standards
- You will be involved and take an active role in re-designing our accounting policies to make sure they reflect Future Super’s growth and scale
- You will work closely with our Auditors and manage the relationship and audit process throughout the year
- You will lend your top-notch financial accounting expertise to the finance team during budget re-forecasts and help the team with technical calculations like lease, share based payments etc.
- You will work closely with the Senior Management Team while implementing accounting standards. For example, working with our CTO and developing a process to capture data necessary to capitalise internally generated software and working with our Head of Risk to develop AFSL finance policies
- You will be sharing crucial insights and updates from our current accounts with the CEO and COO in the finance committee meetings
We’re looking for someone who:
- Believes in Future Super’s mission and has a passion for moving Australia’s money out of fossil-fuels and into renewable energy
- Is a qualified accountant and has relevant practical work experience in statutory financial reporting (such as on client-side, as an auditor, or as an external accountant)
- Has a good understanding of accounting standards as the role will be responsible in designing, developing and implementing accounting policies and keeping stakeholders briefed through-out the process
Don’t tick all the boxes? That’s okay, we like thinking outside the box. We value skills, passion and who you are over what you’ve done or where you’ve studied. So if this job resonates with you, we want to hear from you!
You’ll love working here with:
- A purpose-driven organisation and team, with the opportunity to help build and scale the business so we can have an even greater impact on climate change and inequality
- A proud B Corp organisation that cares about how it behaves inside and out
- Heaps of flexibility to fit work into your life (not your life around our work) and the opportunity to work with your manager to define what that looks like for you now and in the future
- Team lunches, drinks and company-wide events.
- 14 weeks’ paid parental leave for all genders and a generous parental superannuation package, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), formal training and development with continuous improvement opportunities and membership to Bicycle NSW (or your State’s equivalent) as part of our sustainable transport policy.
- Future Super is an equal opportunity employer – we provide flexible working hours, the option to work from home and a laptop you can use to work remotely (this used to be a more differentiating dot-point, but it’s still true!)
The application will require answering short questions, so please give yourself time to complete it. Once started, you can save and return to your application before submitting.
We use Applied as our de-identified recruitment platform, helping us reduce the risk of unconscious bias in our hiring process. If you are curious to know more about how it works, check out this blog post.
Questions? Please reach out to Khi, HR Advisor, at email@example.com.Apply →